The second edition of Neymar Jr’s Five returns to Pakistan targeting four cities; Karachi, Lahore, Peshawar and Islamabad in third week of April. After the Qualifiers Round, four teams from four cities will compete on April 23 in Islamabad at the National Finals with the hope to represent Pakistan at the World Finals in Brazil in July 2017.
Neymar Jr’s Five made an instant impact in its debut year in 2016 with more than 10,000 teams consisting 65,000 players in 47 countries, including Pakistan, vying for overall victory in the world’s biggest five-a-side football tournament.
This time it will be bigger than last year, with regional qualifiers in 53 countries, also including Pakistan for the second consecutive time. The teams will set out with the hope of making it all the way from the qualifiers to their national final and on to the World Final in July 2017 at the Instituto Projeto Neymar Jr in Praia Grande, Brazil.
One can simply participate in the tournament by registering the team at www.neymarjrsfive.com. Neymar Jr’s Five is the Brazilian forward’s signature football tournament which pits two 5-a-side teams in 10-minute matches.
The Barcelona and Brazil forward Neymar cannot wait to see a new season of this remarkable tournament kick off. “I always played with my friends, using small goals.” he said. “The tournament reminds me of my childhood and I am very proud of it. To win the five-a-side games and outplay them all, you need strategy and a good understanding of what the best moment is to attack and defend. A good defense is very important as well and can bring your team very far in the tournament,” he added.
Neymar Jr’s Five fact file:
- 10,000 teams took part in the first edition in 2016
- Ghosts FC from Peshawar were crowned Neymar Jr’s Five Pakistan Champion 2016 and represented Pakistan at the World Finals in Brazil last year
- Altogether, more than 65,000 players were registered worldwide
- Tournaments took place in a total of 47 countries in 6 continents
- Regional winners go through to their national final. National winners go through to the Neymar Jr’s Five World Final.